10.14.2011

Thai Green Curry

DSC_0337

Once upon a time, we made egg rolls.

We also made Pad Thai.

We've also tried Spicy Basil Chicken Stir Fry, Peanut Chicken Pasta Salad, Green Curry, Red Curry, and Thai-Style Chicken with Basil. Are you getting my theme here?

I'm pretty much obsessed with Thai food. I love everything about it, and I'm always trying to recreate the unique flavors in my kitchen (or talk Hubby into ordering out; he always seems to want Mexican food instead). Athough I don't seem to quite have it down yet, we're on the way to some pretty good stuff!

I made this curry one night last week, thinking that maybe it would calm the Thai cravings I've been having recently. It didn't. It was an easy recipe and a great weeknight meal, but it's delicious curry flavors only made me salivate for more mouth-burning curries and crispy fried rolls. If only I could scrap tonight's sad attempt at pizza dough; I'm just too stubborn to quit. Ugh.

DSC_0325

This recipe is a definite "go-to" curry for a quick, satisfying dinner (although I did wish it had been paired with something fried on the side). Try your own twist on the recipe and give me your suggestions below; I'd love to read your comments!

Oh, and send me a reccomendation of your favorite Thai place if you live in Chicago. Please, I'm begging you.


Thai Green Curry

Makes 2 servings

3/4 pound green beans, tips trimmed off
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into medium-sized pieces or strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 yellow onion, cut into wedges
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 can (7 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons thai green curry paste
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1/4 cup Thai basil leaves (or regular basil)

DSC_0327

Boil a small pot of water and blanch green beans for 2 minutes or until crisp and bright in color. Drain and rinse under cold water to keep the beans from cooking longer.

Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add swirl the oil around to coat the pan. Add onion and pepper and cook until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger and stir around until fragrant, about another 30 seconds. Take everything out of the skillet and transfer to a plate.

Carefully open the can of coconut milk without shaking it first, and take out 3 tablespoons of the thick cream on the top (we used light coconut milk so it didn't have cream; it still turned out great). Put skillet back over the heat and add coconut cream and curry paste. Stir together until combined, then add the rest of the coconut milk, chicken broth, and fish sauce. Add vegetable mixture and chicken and bring everything to a boil. Reduce to medium-low and simmer until curry has reduced a little and the vegetables are slightly more tender, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add green beans and cook until chicken is done, about 3 more minutes. Check to see if it needs more salt.

Sprinkle basil over the curry and serve over rice.

DSC_0329