6.10.2011

Spicy Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry

DSC_0604

Hey! It's Friday!

I might have said this before, but sometimes I can get a little bored on school breaks (shhh, don't tell Husband). I've realized in the last few years that I am the type of person that needs to be busy. I like to constantly be doing something, even when I'm just sitting on the couch and watching TV. I've accomplished a lot in the last week, but my list is starting to run dry...what shall I do??

Cook! Blog! Good ideas, right? Here, I have a good recipe for you to try out, especially if you're bored like me. This one was a quick weeknight dinner and turned out to be really yummy! You know me, I love my Asian food...

DSC_0597

It's deliciously spicy, surprisingly light, and doesn't take a lot of work. I also loved that I could use the basil from my new plant, though I wish I had a Thai basil plant too. If you have the chance to get some fresh green onions from the market, that would make this recipe even more perfect. Go ahead, try it.

I have a special post tomorrow that I'm really excited about; come back and see what's up!

DSC_0609


Spicy Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry
from Williams-Sonoma

Makes 4 servings

6 tablespoons chicken stock
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1-2 Thai or jalapeno chilies, thinly sliced into rounds
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
3/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves (preferably Thai basil)
3 green onions, cut into 3-inch pieces

Whisk the stock, fish sauce, and brown sugar together in a small bowl. Add cornstarch and continue whisking until dissolved.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add bell pepper and cook for one minute. Add chilies and garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink, then add basil and green onions until barely wilted. Whisk sauce again and pour over the top. When sauce comes to a boil, turn off the heat.

Serve over white or brown rice.