7.30.2012

Banana Yogurt Coffee Cake

DSC_0642

Sometimes I feel like I say the same things over and over again. I like sweets--have you heard that one before? If not, you must not actually be reading my posts.

It's almost like I'm my own record player, playing back my favorite ten sentences on repeat. "Hey guys, I like sugar!" "Did you know I love curry?" "This is my seventeenth muffin recipe this month!" Alright, that might be an exaggeration but that's how it feels sometimes. So I would like to apologize in advance for the next paragraph, because you've definitely read it from me before.

DSC_0764

Like I've said many times in the past, I have a serious sweet tooth. Leave me at home with some flour, sugar, and a few rotten bananas and you're sure to come home to something delicious in the oven. This time, I decided to try my grandpa's Banana Yogurt Coffee Cake recipe. He always liked bananas in his coffee cake, and after trying the finished product, I wholeheartedly agree. The yogurt added a great tangy bite too, and that sugary nut topping finished it off perfectly. I am officially obsessed with this cake, and have filed it away in the "make again asap" folder already.

I know some of the words in that cake's description are repeated often here at Le Man and Wife (i.e. delicious, obsessed, sweet tooth, etc.), but I really just love desserts. I'm also sorry that I have a limited vocabulary, but at least you know what you're getting, right? Just trust me on this one as I write this last phrase for the 34th time: go make this cake. You won't regret it. :)

DSC_0633

Banana Yogurt Coffee Cake

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I like walnuts and pecans)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

DSC_0623

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bundt pan. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. In a stand mixer, beat butter on medium speed until light in color, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until light in color, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Lower speed to medium-low and add bananas, yogurt, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.

Whisk topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Spoon half of the topping evenly onto the bottom of the greased bundt pan. Top with half of the cake batter. Add remaining topping to the middle of the cake, then finish with the rest of the batter. Bake for about 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert pan to release cake. Let cake cool completely before serving.

DSC_0629
DSC_0768