6.12.2012

Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti

DSC_0317

My first unofficial date with my husband was at a local coffee shop in Holland, Michigan, back when we were in college. He ordered an americano, I ordered a mint mocha. Apparently it's a good thing we made it to date two, because according to him, my drink choice was a catastrophe.

Since that fateful day in 2007, my coffee palate has changed dramatically. I'm definitely not as intense as my husband, but I do prefer a cappuccino to any flavor-ridden mocha. In fact, I have grown to really love coffee; not only the drink, but also the process and the science behind a good cup. I definitely have Husband to thank for that.

DSC_0320

In order to shape him into the perfect Husband, the one I know and love today, I had to do some work of my own though. When we first met, Husband did not have a sweet tooth. This was an obvious problem. So as he was training me to like regular lattes, I was secretly training him to like sugar. It started with simple biscotti with our coffee, the perfect combination, and has ended with cakes, cupcakes, and brownies galore. You know you love it, Hubs--don't lie!

I made this delicious Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti as a Mother's Day gift this year, and I practically had to slap Husband's wrists to keep him from eating it before I could package it up! That little goof, always eating my sweets now. Oh, the joys of sharing life together, yes? :)

DSC_0331

By the way, if you haven't seen our coffee page yet, take a second and check it out. I realize there are only two posts as of now (someone PLEASE nag Husband to write more), but we have some exciting coffee things to share in the next few weeks. If you ever have a request, by the way, request away in the comments section! Husband would love to write about it (right, babe?)!


Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti
From Joy the Baker

Biscotti:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place baking racks in the upper portion of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg, beat for a minute, then add the egg yolk. Scrape down sides and add vanilla. Dump the flour mixture into the egg mixture and beat until a stiff dough is formed.

Separate the dough into two parts and put one on each baking sheet. Form the dough into a 9-inch by 1 1/2-inch log. Whisk together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping, and beat the egg. Brush each log with the egg and then sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar. Bake the sheets on two separate racks for 20 minutes, then rotate and bake again for 20-25 minutes until log is golden and firm to the touch.

Remove racks from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes or so. Carefully slice logs into 1/2-inch wide pieces on the diagonal using a serrated knife, then place cut-side down and sprinkle with more sugar. Put biscotti back in the oven for another 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.

Let cool, then enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee!

DSC_0337