Summer is the perfect time for a picnic, wouldn't you agree?
Husband and I are headed to Michigan this weekend to spend some much needed time with family at the beach. We are also hoping to have a little family picnic on Saturday, so I'm trying to think ahead about what I should make that will compliment the potential 90-degree weather.
In case you're ever in the same boat, here is a list of my favorite 10 Things to Bring to a Summer Picnic. Hope this helps!
1. Snacks--Everyone wants to snack on something while they're waiting for the meal to come together, right? These Spicy Honey-Roasted Almonds are super easy and also really tasty.
You could also try this awesome Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Feta, and Giardiniera Dip with crackers or crostini.
2. Pickles--Refrigerator pickles are lots of fun to eat right out of the jar, or next to your favorite sandwich or burger. Bread and Butter Pickles are great too, especially if you like a sweeter pickle.
3. Vinegary Cucumbers and Onions--Okay, similar to pickles, but also great as a side salad. This is a personal favorite of mine, so I always make sure this is at our family picnics.
4. Yummy Breads--Who doesn't love Cheddar Beer and Mustard Pull-Apart Bread?? It'll be gone before you even get the plates out.
5. Salads--Picnics aren't complete without a good green salad. I love this Bacon and Apple Chopped Salad (if you want to be a little fancy) or a simple Spinach, Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad.
6. Kabobs--So interchangeable and fun! Light up the grill, slice up your favorite veggies (add meat if you'd like, or keep them vegetarian), and grill away!
7. Carnitas Tacos--Let's say you're in charge of bringing the meat. Make this beautiful shredded pork ahead of time, stick it in the fridge, then take out the day of the picnic. Delicious and also pretty impressive! Just have someone else bring the taco fixings. :)
8. Pulled Pork Sandwiches--Here I go again with the pork. But seriously, I love pulled pork. Again, make the meat ahead of time, then bring buns and store-bought coleslaw and voila! The most delicious sandwich on the planet.
9. Dessert--My favorite part! Cherry Brown Butter Bars are always a hit, or Chocolate Zucchini Cake, or Rhubarb Shortbread.
Want to be really fun? Try Mojito Popsicles. Yum (just don't leave them out on the picnic table)!
10. Cocktails--Because someone's gotta do it. A La Paloma is my current favorite.
Go have a picnic! Now you'll be prepared.
Do you have a favorite picnic dish? If so, let me know!