5.21.2012

Refrigerator Pickles

DSC_0801

I'm about to get really vague and secretive. I know, that's annoying. But I feel like being annoying today, and there's nothing you can do about it (I hung out all day with a bunch of 10 year olds all afternoon; maybe that will explain my mature attitude today).

DSC_0820

I've been on a little blogging hiatus recently because of some unforeseen life changes. Just when we thought life was on track, it got derailed again. So I've been wrapped up in work and more work, trying to sort out my life and get things back in order.

Thankfully, things took a major turn for the better this past week. I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel and that feels really good. I will be able to share more details hopefully in a few days, but until then, enjoy these pickles!

(And no, I'm not pregnant. I just love pickles.)

Be back soon with news!

DSC_0887

Refrigerator Pickles
Adapted from Mark Bittman

Makes about 30 pickle quarters

Pickles:
1 pound Kirby cucumbers
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Pickling Spice (see below)
1 cup water

Pickling Spice (makes about 1/2 cup):
1 cinnamon stick
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon crushed red peper flakes, or to taste
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon dill seeds

For Pickling Spice, break cinnamon stick and bay leaves into pieces. Combine all other ingredients mix together.

For pickles, wash cucumbers well and cut to desired shape (we like ours quartered lengthwise). Place them in a non-metal bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the salt, and toss to coat. Let cucumbers sit for about 2 hours at room temperature, then pat dry with paper towels.

Add remaining salt, vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let mixture cool for 5 minutes, then pour over the cucumbers and let cool to room temperature. If mixture does not cover the cucumbers, add a little water to cover.

Transfer to an airtight jar and refrigerate for 3 days before eating. Pickles will last for about 3 weeks in their liquid.