5.06.2012

Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa

DSC_0185

Friends, quinoa is the new black. Did you know this? Apparently it goes with everything now. Sometimes quinoa is a little weird to me, but let's go with it. It's a trend.

I'm not one for making extravagant breakfasts in the morning (I eat around 6am so I'm still a little comatose), but I saw this recipe recently and decided to try it. Why not, right? It's probably about time I break my yogurt streak anyway. So I made it, ate it, and surprisingly didn't hate it! Actually, I almost liked it!

If you're already on the quinoa train, I'm pretty confident you'll love this. It's very much like oatmeal, just a different texture. The touch of cinnamon is key here, and the sea salt surely doesn't hurt either. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

DSC_0183

Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
From Gourmet Comfort Magazine

1 cup red quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 teaspoon salt

Toppings: chopped walnuts, maple syrup, milk, sea salt

Wash quinoa in a few batches of water until water is completely clear. Drain in a sieve and add quinoa and rest of ingredients to a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender (18-20 minutes). Let quinoa sit for 5 minutes off the heat, remove cinnamon sticks, and serve.