2.27.2012

Vinegary Cucumbers and Onions

DSC_0512

When my sister and I were kids, we used to love going to visit my grandparents in Lincoln, Nebraska. Mom and Dad would drive us to meet Grandma and Grandpa at the half-way point (McDonalds, of course) where our fun-filled week of zoo trips, chocolate zucchini cake, and quality time in Grandpa's leather chair would finally begin. It was always so much fun being with G&G!

17_2

I miss them a lot these days. Mostly at unexpected times, like when I run across a sweet old lady at the thrift store or take a bite of something very "theirs". This recipe is one of those. I eat these cucumbers and onions and am immediately reminded of summers in their kitchen, eating vegetables from their garden and fudgesickles for dessert. Those sure were the days.

To you, G&G--I'm eating these with a smile on my face.

DSC_0513

Vinegary Cucumbers and Onions

Thinly sliced cucumbers
Thinly sliced onions
Equal parts white vinegar, sugar, and water, whisked together

Place cucumbers and onions in a medium bowl.  Cover with vinegar mixture and marinate overnight.

DSC_0476
DSC_0482