2.22.2012

A Few Thoughts on Life and Salted Caramel Sauce

DSC_0282

Sometimes I spend a crazy amount of time on my computer. Sometimes, I come home from a nine-hour work day, sit on the couch, and finally get up three hours later once I realize the sun has gone down and I'm on my computer in the dark. Does this ever happen to you?

Frankly, I think it's pretty sad and pathetic. Like many people do, I feel sucked in to the internet and am constantly struggling to pull myself away from all of the things the internet has to offer. Why?! I have no idea, and no excuse for this behavior.

So.

In this season of Lent, I have decided to limit the time I spend on the internet. I will be spending my time doing things that are most important in my life--like enjoying quality time with my husband, my family, and my friends. Or involving myself in service outlets at church. Or exercising! My body could probably use it...

Does this mean there will be less happening here at Le Man and Wife? Probably. My goal isn't to disappear completely, but to provide a better balance between actual life and internet life. I will still cook, I will still take pictures of my food, and it will all end up here in time. But for now, I need to focus my time and energy on enjoying this beautiful life I've been given.

On that note, cheers to life! And now, caramel sauce.

DSC_0263

Salted Caramel Sauce
From Smitten Kitchen

1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Few pinches flaked sea salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat and stir sugar around until melted. Cook until sugar reaches a nice copper color, then add sea salt and butter, stirring until butter melts. Turn heat down to low and add heavy cream slowly while continuously stirring. Be careful, it will splatter! Stir until smooth, then remove from heat. Once cooled, transfer to a storage container and keep in the fridge for about a week.

DSC_0295