10.24.2011

Roasted Tomato Soup

DSC_0664

What up, Monday?

I'm feeling really inspired to get things done this week; I have a cake trial party with my sisters-in-law on Wednesday (ooooh more on that later, can't wait) and I'm hoping to get our apartment in good shape before they come over (and before I turn my kitchen into another disaster zone).

And so, burritos for dinner! If only I had some delicious carnitas...

DSC_0646

(Oh this? This is tomato soup. Yeah, it has nothing to do with anything. Except that it was good and you should make it! Happy Monday!)

DSC_0647


Roasted Tomato Soup
Adapted from Sprouted Kitchen

Serves 2

This recipe was perfect at the time because it used all of our tomatoes and our dying parsley. I didn't have cream so we left it out, but the original recipe calls for it and I think it would be just lovely. We also didn't have any bread or cheese (*ahem* it got eaten earlier in the day) but that would be perfect too.

1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, seeds removed and cut into wedges
1/2 yellow onion, cut into wedges
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
Small handful parsley, chopped
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Tomatoes

Place tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves onto a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley. Roast in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes, or until tomatoes look small and tender.

DSC_0653
DSC_0655

Stir broth and tomato paste together in a saucepan and once combined, add roasted vegetables. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then use an immersion blender to puree (if you don't have one, a food processor or blender would also work). Run through a sieve if you want it completely smooth (Husband would have liked that better I think; I didn't mind it with a little texture) and then return to the pot. Season with salt and pepper if needed, and drizzle with olive oil to serve.

DSC_0657