5.26.2011

Asian Pork Tenderloin

DSC_1114

Husband has been talking about buying some new camera equipment recently, especially after meeting up with our wedding photographer and friend Todd. I've been feeling so-so about it; not because I don't want our pictures to look better, but because we are going on two vacations still in 2011 and our brand new couch is arriving next weekend. Money is leaving our bank account too quickly these days!

Obviously my concern did not trump Husband's desire for new camera stuff (I guess I shouldn't lie, I wanted it too). He came home from work last week sporting a sexy 50mm F1.8 G Nikkor lens, which of course we took immediately to The Bento Box to test. I think the pictures are amazing--what do you think?

DSC_1074

We are headed back to Michigan this weekend to spend some time with Husband's extended family. I can't decide what to bring to our potluck yet, but I'm thinking something sweet. Surprised? I've just been too good lately; I could really use a sugar overload. Maybe strawberry rhubarb pie or brown butter chocolate chip cookies? Mm...

DSC_1093

Whoa, somehow I got really far away from this post...yikes. This here is pork! Really really good pork. The marinate was excellent and made me wish I had made four tenderloins rather than two. So delicious...I promise this pork tastes just about as good as that rhubarb pie up there. Go ahead, try it! (I'll try the pie.)


Asian Pork Tenderloin
Slightly adapted from Emeril Lagasse

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup coarsely chopped green onions
1/4 cup coarsely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pork tenderloins (about 2 pounds total)

Combine everything except the tenderloins in a food processor and pulse until everything is pureed. Put tenderloins and sauce in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large cast iron skillet and add tenderloins.* Turn to make sure each side browns, about 4 minutes total. Place the tenderloins and skillet into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 145 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes.

DSC_1107

Serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables.

*Pour the rest of the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil for a minute or two, and then reduce the heat to simmer. Take sauce off the heat when it has reduced to your liking. Pour over tenderloins and rice.

DSC_1121