4.22.2011

Mexican-Style Beef Chili

DSC_0181

These last few weeks have been a doozy. So much going on at school, and the weather has not been helping. Husband and I also just finished Season 6 of The Office on Netflix and can't seem to find a way to watch Season 7. I'd love to say that we're patiently searching, but in reality we are desperate for some Michael Scott. Could life get any worse?!

Ok, I'm being dramatic. I really shouldn't complain. I am lucky enough to work in a profession that gets Good Friday off, and I am currently relaxing with my cup of morning coffee as I write away this dreary day. It sure beats being at school (but don't tell the kids)!

DSC_0166

Today is a great day for chili, wouldn't you agree? I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, my favorite sit-on-the-couch-for-hours-and-read-every-post blog, and had to try it. I've been a chili lover forever, and this one only makes my love grow deeper. It's got a great kick and could be made in any season, depending on what you serve with it. It's also one of the more simple chili recipes out there. If you are lucky enough to have the day off today, you should try it! It will become your new staple chili recipe, I promise. Just do it.

DSC_0172
(This picture makes me laugh. Note Husband's various snacks near the chili prep and the open fridge in the background...always nommin'. Love you, dear!)

DSC_0176

Beef Chili
by Smitten Kitchen

Makes 6 servings

2 large onions, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 carrots, sliced thinly into rounds
3 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon dry oregano
Dried red pepper flakes, to taste (we used about 2 teaspoons)
2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce or 2 cups fresh tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 3/4 cups or 1 20-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (last time we made this, we only had black beans...still delicious)
2 green bell peppers, chopped

Heat oil over medium low heat in a large pot and cook onions until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and carrots and cook for one minute.* Turn up the heat to medium and add the beef, cooking for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and pepper flakes and stir together for another minute. Add beef broth, cider vinegar, and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer for 35-40 minutes. Add kidney beans, bell peppers, and salt to taste (2-ish teaspoons) and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until bell peppers are cooked to your liking.

*Consider taking out the vegetables to cook the beef if your meat is really fatty. You can add them back again once you drain the beef.

Serve with pickled jalapenos, tortilla chips, and a few spoonfuls of sour cream on top (or plain if you'd rather).

DSC_0185

(I have the best treat to share with you after the weekend is over! Hint: my students would be very excited about it...)

Happy Easter, friends!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I highly recommend the biscuits that she pairs with this chili. (And you can leave out the jalapenos if anyone isn't a fan). We made them for B&J last time they were up in Michigan. I like to eat my chili in a bowl, so I just ate the biscuit on the side, but they are as good as you'd expect from S.K.!

Brooke said...

I was just going to say that I made this with Shelly one chilly January evening at the cottage. I've made it since and it's always delicious!

Alex Griffith said...

Since I am unable to cook, (congenital abnormality--something 'bout my temporal lobe) I'm focusing this comment on the photography. Stunning my children. Like for reals. Keep it up. That granite countertop is working it something fierce. Tyra would be proud. I fully expect to see food plating in on or around the vicinity of new couch when the time comes.

Post a Comment