2.16.2012

Heidi Swanson's Grain-ola

DSC_0421

Are you sick of hearing about all of my various granolas yet? If you are, you'd better stop here.

My sister gave me Heidi Swanson's first cookbook, Super Natural Cooking, for my birthday a few weeks ago and of course I gravitated right to the granola recipe. I don't know what it is about granola, but I love comparing different recipes. They all taste so different (no really, they do! come on!) and I can't ever get enough.

DSC_0310

I don't feel bad about eating this granola for breakfast, first because it has coconut oil (so trendy) and second because it uses unsweetened coconut and only 3/4 cup honey! Can I go so far as to say it's good for me?! I think I will.

p.s. I might be a snob, but I think our other granola recipes (here and here) are pretty darn tasty too...

DSC_0407

Recipe notes:
--Heidi's original recipe calls for baking the dried fruit with the rest of the granola, which makes the dried fruit very hard and chewy. If you like it that way, go for it! I prefer mine to be soft, so I add it at the end.
--My favorite part of this granola is the orange zest; don't skimp on it! It really makes this recipe unique.

DSC_0408

Grain-ola
Adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking

4 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
1 cup walnuts, chopped into quarters
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups assorted dried fruits (we used cranberries and apricots), chopped
Grated zest of 2 oranges
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine oats, sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut, and zest in a large bowl. Add honey and coconut oil to a small saucepan and whisk together over low heat until combined well. Pour over dry ingredients and stir  to coat.

Spread evenly onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent edges from burning. Dump back into large bowl, add dried fruit, and mix together. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

DSC_0413