6.26.2012

Rhubarb Lemon Buttermilk Muffins

DSC_0511

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across some rhubarb at the farmer's market and promptly went home to bake something with it. Once I got home though, I couldn't decide what to make! I contemplated rhubarb fool, strawberry rhubarb pie, and even my tried-and-true rhubarb shortbread bars. And then I saw this. An amazing rhubarb lemon bundt cake, made with buttermilk and a beautiful lemon glaze on top. I was sold.

DSC_0497

I decided to adapt this recipe into muffins, mostly because I just really love muffins. They're the perfect size for breakfast, and they pair really well with a great cup of coffee. After trying these particular muffins, I have to say that they are absolutely my new favorite. The batter is insanely good--moist, fluffy, flavorful; it's seriously unreal. If you can't find rhubarb anymore, try fresh strawberries or blueberries! Anything fresh and in-season would be delicious in this batter.

Beware: eating just one of these muffins is very unlikely. Be prepared to eat at least two--they are way too good. :)

Rhubarb lemon buttermilk muffins

Rhubarb Lemon Buttermilk Muffins
Adapted from Honey and Jam

Makes 12 muffins

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 egg
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 cups chopped rhubarb, pieces about 1/4-inch thick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a stand mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg and beat again, scraping down sides to get everything incorporated. Add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk in two parts. Scrape sides of the bowl again. Fold in rhubarb and then spoon batter evenly into muffin tin.

Bake muffins until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 15 minutes.

DSC_0500