6.01.2012

Dutch Baby

DSC_0311

I don't know about you, but I definitely like a good carb-filled breakfast on the weekends. Pancakes, waffles, muffins, coffee cake--you name it, I'll make it. So once upon a time, we stumbled across a recipe for a Dutch Baby. Have you ever heard of a Dutch Baby? If you haven't, it's high time you read this and go make one right now. It's an amazing, huge puffed pancake that will satisfy all of your carb-loving dreams. Promise.

Husband and I have made these awesome Dutch Babies before, since you only have to wash two dishes (KEY!) and you can also sit and drink coffee while it's baking. Win-win situation, right?

DSC_0294

I like to eat my Dutch Baby with syrup and bacon on the side, but you can really eat this with almost anything: fresh fruit, jam, cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar...the world is your oyster pancake! I've also seen a lot of recipes for Dutch Babies with lime sugar/lemon sugar on top, and I imagine that would be equally as delicious.

One quick note--I never have anything other than skim milk and cream in my fridge (ok, and the occasional buttermilk), so I do a mix of milks for this recipe. You just need a little fat in the milk to make this work, so go ahead and use whole milk if you have it.

Yay Dutch Baby!!!

DSC_0291

Dutch Baby
Inspired by Gourmet Comfort Magazine

3 eggs
1/3 cup skim milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup half and half, at room temperature
2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces

Warm eggs in their shell by placing them in a bowl of very warm water for 5 minutes. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Beat eggs in a stand mixer on high speed until pale and frothy. Add milk, half and half, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and beat until batter is smooth.

Take skillet out of the oven, add butter pieces, and swirl around until butter is melted. Add batter and place skillet back in the oven for 18-25 minutes, until pancake is puffed and golden brown. Serve with your favorite syrup, jam, or cinnamon sugar.

DSC_0313