3.12.2012

On-The-Go Power Bars

DSC_0699

So I'm home sick today, most likely as a result of surrounding myself with a multitude of children every week. The joys of teaching, right?

It could be worse though--I could be sitting here without my computer, without a great book, or without my morning coffee. Or I could be at work. So really, let's weigh our options here...

DSC_0686

I made these delicious power bars for Husband one afternoon when I could tell he needed a treat (that cutie). I quickly came to the rescue with these sticky, gooey, energy-inducing snacks and we were both hooked! They are naturally sweetened with brown rice syrup (okay fine, and a little turbinado sugar, but I don't see why you couldn't substitute honey if you wanted) and serve as a great mid-morning snack! They are also very adaptable, so if you like different dried fruit or other cereals, go ahead and try 'em!

Wrap these up in parchment paper and take them to work, on errands, or even to your sister-in-law's house (trust me, she'll love them). They're called On-the-Go Power Bars for a reason, right? Maybe they'll even give me enough energy to conquer this cold today...!

DSC_0716

Happy Monday, friends! Enjoy this nice weather--and a power bar too. :)


On-The-Go Power Bars
Adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking

1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups chopped toasted walnuts
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup unsweetened puffed brown rice cereal
1/2 cup toasted whole wheat berry flakes & flaxseed cereal*
1 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt

Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.

Mix oats, walnuts, wheat germ, cereal, and cranberries in a large bowl. Add rice syrup, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until boils and thickens a little, about 4 minutes. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until completely combined.

Spread into pan and cool to room temperature. Cut into bars with a sharp knife.

*My favorite cereal, found at Trader Joe's.

DSC_0697
DSC_0677