1.08.2012

Homemade Dog Treats

DSC_0159

Our pup-in-law was attacked by two dogs this week, poor thing. Only the nicest dog in the whole world, that Sadie; I can't imagine why anyone would want to attack such a sweet animal!

I was feeling so bad for Saders and her stitched-up side that I decided to bring her a little treat to cheer her up--a little bag (let's call it a doggie bag, shall we?) of homemade dog cookies. Thankfully, even in her semi-depressed state, she was very excited about her special treat (so much so that we had to keep her from rolling on it)!

DSC_0148

I only wish I had a cute bone-shaped cookie cutter so these would be a little more dog-like, but at least I can call them cookies now (oh, what I would do for my own human cookie right now...ugh)! Your dog will love these--they have peanut butter, chicken broth, and even a little sweetness. Take a bite of one and see for yourself!

(And in case you need a pretend dog to feed these to, try these.)

DSC_0150

Homemade Dog Treats
From A Cozy Kitchen

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine peanut butter, honey, olive oil, and chicken broth in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together flours and oats. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.

Dump dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thick. Use a small glass or a cookie cutter (a bone would have been super cute) to cut out cookies. Continue rolling out dough scraps until all dough is used. Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes.

DSC_0160
Yes, that is my couch in the background. I'm working on it.