11.23.2011

Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Shallots

MichaelLeman-6

Typical me.

I left all of the things I was going to use for my Thanksgiving cheese plate at home yesterday. Lovely.

Of course I remembered my brussels sprouts and my shallots--can you tell where my mind has been? I have been so excited to try out this brussels recipe, and even though I'm not bringing it to Thanksgiving, I wanted to try it out on my family while I'm visiting this weekend.

Sprouts
MichaelLeman-2

So instead of worrying about my cheese plate last night, I made this brussels sprout hash. Survey says: this recipe is amazing. I'm actually really sad I didn't make it sooner; had I known it was going to be this good, I would have suggested bringing brussels instead of a cheese plate (damn). The caramelized shallots are almost candied; sweet and a little sour from the vinegar, and the brussels are perfectly tender and buttery. I also love that this is a hash. I really wanted to do something other than just whole-roasted brussels, and this recipe won the prize.

If you haven't decided what to bring to your family's Thanksgiving yet, try this! You won't be disappointed.

MichaelLeman-4

Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Shallots
From Bon Appetit, November 2007

6 tablespoons butter, divided
3 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup water
Coarse kosher salt
Pepper

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a large skillet and add shallots. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and continue to cook until shallots are thick and caramelized, about 3 minutes. Put shallots in a small bowl and wipe out bottom of skillet with a paper towel.

Meanwhile, cut brussels sprouts in half lengthwise and then into small, thin slices (I would do this before you start the shallots--it took me longer than I thought). Heat oil in skillet and add brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water and last 3 tablespoons of butter; saute until water has evaporated and sprouts are tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. *I poured a little of the water out at the end to save my sprouts from becoming overdone. Add shallots and check salt and pepper seasonings.

MichaelLeman-5